Saturday, July 30, 2011

Homemade Mosquito Spray



Remember the sad face boy with his over swollen mosquito bites on his face and back? Well, I am happy to report that he is doing better, and although I have been giving him oral medication, I suspect that other than letting the bites run their course, this homemade mosquito spray that I use helped a lot as well.

In the summer, I too, get these oversensitive skin reactions. They are almost like heat rashes mostly on my legs and sometimes on my arms that become these angry red patches. They itch and hurt and are very sensitive to touch. I get them in the winter too, but not as much as the warmer months. I suspect it is some type of eczema, although I have not had the doctor look at them.

A lady at the farmer's market a couple of years ago had this mosquito spray that she was selling. She said it was a natural solution to keeping mosquitoes at bay, but that it also helped the itch and the sting of the bites should you get them. I asked if she thought it could help one of my angry red areas on my leg. She sprayed some on right then and it was instantly cooling and soothing. I bought some from her and then went back the next month to buy some more. Before, my spots would take weeks to resolve even though I tried every cream or ointment imagineable to make them better. After using the spray daily, my spot was all gone within two days.

I use the spray every time I get any type of itchy spot. My son likes to have it sprayed on his itchy spots as well. Since I use it all throughout the year, I was not able to go to the farmer's market to buy some more during the winter months. She had said the ingredients were just witch hazel, tea tree oil, and lavender oil, so I started making my own.




It is nothing scientific, but it works just the same. I simply fill the spray bottle almost to the top with witch hazel then I put in about 10 to 20 drops each of the tea tree and lavendar oils. I buy the witch hazel for a dollar or so a bottle at Target, and I bought the oils at Sunflower market, a local health food type store. They last a long time since not very much of them are needed each time I refill the spray bottle.

I love this stuff and use it almost every day. It has truly been a life saver.... or at least a scratch saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment